One thing you probably don’t know about me >> I’ve always been obsessed with hair. I seriously contemplated dropping out of undergrad to go to cosmetology school my junior year. I literally skipped class and went to a Paul Mitchell orientation in Rhode Island. Long story short, my hair dreams were put on hold once Daddy told me he’d cut me off if I didn’t finish my biology degree. Haha. True story.
Even though I’m on a (much) different career path now, I still love love love hair and look forward to the experience of visiting my hair guru friend a couple times a year. A cut and color is always so refreshing and oddly detoxifying to my soul. I feel like a new woman leaving the salon each time with my freshly trimmed locks.
If you know me from a while back you are probably reminiscing on some of my (god awful) school pictures. There was the strawberry blonde phase, also known as the blonde box dye phase your girl did herself. The Ashlae Simpson phase, starting with those heavy blunt bangs with black color underneath that transitioned shortly after to all over blue-black. Then there was what I like to call the unicorn phase, when my bestie and I experimented with pink, purple, blue, you-name-it-one-of-us-probably-had-it color.
Needless to say my hair and I have had some trials and tribulations. It’s been a long road to recovery but girl, we made it! I wanted to share some of the *natural* tips and tricks I’ve used over the years to nurse my hair back to health, grow long healthy locks and reach my #hairgoals!
First and foremost, healthy hair starts on the inside. Translation: if you want long healthy hair you need to follow a healthy diet. Think lean proteins, healthy fats, and lots and lots of greens. Once you have that on lock, take a look at my running list below and let me know what you think! I’m always trying new products and supplements but these are my tried and true!
- Less is best — wash as little as possible. Invest in a good dry shampoo or a safe baby powder (my go to is this powder) and master the top knot.
- Ditch the heat — embrace the undone look. I dry my hair no more than once a week. Use a sea salt spray for added volume + texture.
- Collagen — the supplement I refuse to live without. It has completely changed my hair, skin and nail game. I take it in the morning with my coffee and my hair and nails grow like crazy. I legit can’t keep up with my nails because they grow so fast and strong, not to mention the major growth along my hair-line. Ever notice those baby hairs after wearing your hair back in a slick pony or bun? You need this.
- Fat is phat — essential to hair growth. Think you eat enough? Probably not — you need more butter in your life. You’re welcome.
- ACV rinse — kind of a game changer — dilute 1:1 with water and rinse over hair in the shower. This mixture also works great in a spray bottle to detangle tresses after you get out. B says I smell like a chip but strong shiny hair is totally worth it — and once it dries the smell is undetectable. Read more about AVC rinses here and here.
- Coconut oil mask — *covers whole body in coconut oil.* No, really — coconut oil is so great for your hair. Apply from root to ends and soak for a few hours or overnight if you dare.
- Last tip — find yourself a bad AF hair stylist. My friend @melissastyleshair has been doing my hair since I was in 8th grade and I honestly don’t trust anyone else. She is all about my less is more mentality and doesn’t use any harsh chemicals to achieve my natural-looking grown out color. Her products are vegan, gf, and without bleach. << all about that natural life. Check out her salon here.
Something a bit different for you today *not food* but I plan to share more on natural health and wellness here in the near future! If you haven’t already, follow my new IG for my blog @megbeansrn!